1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Guide] MooMaster's Original Guardian Swordsman Guide!

Discussion in 'Mercenary' started by MasterMoo, Jan 23, 2015.

?

Was this helpful?

1. Yes

76.2%
  2. No

23.8%
  1. MasterMoo

MasterMoo New Member

Hey all!

As requested I am re-posting my tried and true guide to Guardian Swordsman. Though I lost most of the original post from the old alaplaya forums, I do have info that can help any budding new GS!

~Phase One~
    The First thing we will talk about is your Stat build. This is your Dexterity, Constitution, Strength, Luck, Intellect, Will, and so forth. For every one of my skill builds you should use this same stat build. If you want to ask questions why this one is the best, and no other ones work, go ahead and comment below. But for as far as building your stats so you can LEVEL up the FASTEST, make sure you put all of your stat points in CONSTITUTION.

Main point: Put all your Stat points in CONSTITUTION.

~Phase Two~
    For the next step in your build, we will look at skills. I have several images of your Mercenary Skill tree that show what skills you should have leveled up at certain levels. The first image is for a regular GS at Lv78. Some people like to stop at this level for GS because it is the point where you get the maximum effectiveness from your GS armor stats against bosses.

Level 78 Guardian Swordsman (AOE)
    [​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Now lets say you are stopping at Lv78, and you now want to specialize in just one handed sword fighting for bosses. This skill tree would be what I would recommend. (Remember this is for once you are done leveling up with AOE and just want to fight bosses)

Level 78 Guardian Swordsman (Pure Boss Mode)
    [​IMG]

Now lets say you want to be in a Pure Boss only mode, but want to reach Lv81 to be able to use Lv81 weapons. Here is where I would put the next 3 points.

Lv81 Guardian Swordsman (Pure Boss Mode)
    [​IMG]
    Notice how I only added the into the Impact Stun passive, this is really useful for when you are farming bosses 1v1, but if you are primarily focused on Serbetus and Rashiff, I would then recommended putting your extra 3 points into shield bash, because it is a much more controllable stun.

Now for those who would rather keep leveling up their GS towards Lv81 for those next weapons, or to even cap out at 90+ this next skill image is for you. Now please excuse this build being for Lv94, but that is indeed the current grinding level cap, excluding tower. If you get past this to 99 you can probably figure out where to fill in your skill points on your own. But here is what it would look like.

Lv94 Guardian Swordsman (AOE)
    [​IMG]

~Phase Three~
    Now That you have your high level Guardian Swordsman it is time to talk about one more thing. Gladiators and PVP. Now a lot of players prefer the gladiator class for pvp because of the increased damage output from 2 handed swords. Additionally, while GS are great in Physical Defense, they lack Magic Resistance (Magic equivalent of defense) which means Court Magicians, Magic Knights, Shamans, and Priests are all still going to be able to hit you pretty hard. A lot of people who like PVP like to jump ship on GS, but that is a personal choice.

So while other players have excellent guides for Gladiators, I would like to give you all my best build for a PVP Guardian Swordsman, and my best build for a Gladiator. I personally come from the position that any fan of mercenary characters should have both!

Guardian Swordsman PVP Build
    [​IMG]

Gladiator PVP Build
    [​IMG]

~Lastly~

So for everyone out there who loves the
    mercenary class, and by and large the GS, I hope this helps you out! If you have any questions or comment please post them below and I will try and get back to you!

Have a good one everyone, and Welcome back to Florensia!

-MooMaster

CaptainTimey, rain and Prishan like this.
  2. Kratos

Kratos Active Member

You always want to take sb unless your goal is either serbe or rashif

3. Adrizati

Adrizati Member

I agree with most of the PvE and bosses stuff, but for PvP I have something else in mind.
    Take in mind this is the first time I'll try to PvP with a GS effectively, never did it before.
    [​IMG]

I do have some doubts about it obviously,
    - I'm not sure if Aggression gives enough damage to level up, some German player said it only scales with strenght.
    - I took Heart of Steel because having 2043 more hp is worth it in my opinion, helps fight vs nobles and saints, more hp regen too.
    - I didn't take Stone Skin as it'd only give me 400 defence for 15 skillpoints, which is not worth it in my opinion, the extra defence from shield mastery, heart of steel and AD combined is still going to be plenty enough, I'll always have my shield equipped when the opponent isn't stunned anyways, don't want to lose all the defence.
    - Should I put more points into offensive abilities and drop heart of steel?

I'll be playing this char with +8 2h +8 top +8 pants +6 1h 73/33 shield, the rest +4, and fusions.
    Don't mind the level for the skilltree, I plan to get atleast 90+

BMG55 likes this.
  4. MasterMoo

MasterMoo New Member

I will respond to your points one by one ^^

Firstly, Aggression does only scale with your base strength, so unless you have strength in your build I would consider it a waste of points. Secondly, if you are to use AD in the way I think you intend, why level up balance up at all? I will tell you why, because as a PVPing GS you will hardly ever be able to use AD, unless it is a group fight and you are trying to draw fire from your team mates. Your movement will be so hindered, even if you are 100% invulnerable to stun, you will not be able to get close enough to someone to do any damage or land any stuns.

Next, I agree with Heart of Steal, especially at 99. Tho I would consider it a later priority as you are leveling up (If that is the route you are going).

I do not understand why you would no want to level up stone skin. It is what keeps your survivability up. As I said earlier, you will not be able to constantly keep AD up because then you won't be able to do any offense. Now in 1on1, yes maybe you could get away with no stone skin, as long as you do not get stunned while holding your 2 handed sword. However, most pvp is in group "wars" as I have found and this greatly increases your chances of getting stunned while vulnerable. Again, defense only helps you against melee opponents not magic ones, but I think it's still necessary.

And lastly, why I think the earlier points make sense together, the Guardian Swordsman and Mercenary offensive skills just plain suck. Instead of putting your points into skills for added damage, I would instead put them into the 2 hand sword and 1 hand sword passives. (These passive also are not modified by aggression % bonuses). You will get more damage per second from putting your cross edge and gale smash points else where because your regular hits will do more damage, and you won't have to wait around for skill animation or use MP on them. Though I would leave Gale Smash at Lv1. Beserker (If its still called this? idk, the red yelling head buff haha) can also be used to in place of picking one of the sword passives over the other, though you get less in total for one discipline.

Thanks for the dialogue!

~MooMaster

5. Kratos

Kratos Active Member

I used to believe the same, regarding aggression, but as I tested when ich reached lvl18, it does indeed scale with your weapon.

6. Adrizati

Adrizati Member

Glad you tested it :) I was so confused when you said that.

7. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member

there is still no partyplay gs build :(

where is coc and provo 4? you are the tank, you have to save the questers life x)

8. Kratos

Kratos Active Member

All you need is provo at 1
    coc's only use is for wizard

9. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member

I wanna see u helping sniper at avery Bosses for quest with provo 1 and no coc

What do you think how many tries you need to help him :D

10. Kratos

Kratos Active Member

?
    All you need to do is deal 48% dmg alone and provo the remaining 5%

11. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member

But thats lame and adds will kill him ^^

12. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member

I just tank bosses dont fight them

I tanked brenin for full questparty too. Much fun. You also can do 99% dmg and relog. But i more like tank Boss and adds with provo and coc :3

13. Kratos

Kratos Active Member

While you deal dmg the other one kills the adds and vice versa

14. IceTruetex

IceTruetex Member

lvl 81 bossmode, no aggression? and why BU? u have AD so 100% resistance aigans stun ... ?!?! 1h aoe also useless in my opinion, on lvl 1? u better use the skillpoints for Aggression and upperslash. Next thing, why u have no berserker in your aoe skilltree's??? and 2h sword mastery on max? i highers the maximum dmg not min+max dmg, so finaly total useless for aoe gsm, u want us to play full kon, so we need dmg, better do 1h aoe max.... btw it slows 50%, so u can run out of the mobs and can sitt, by using berserker, regenerate hp and mp, with this u can lvl in secret laboratory very well ... your skilltree is very ... Unique xD with this skilltree you dont have the best solutions ... in my opinion. some of your skilltrees doesn't make much sense

15. MasterMoo

MasterMoo New Member

Sorry my guide isn't as relative anymore. I made this back in 2009 or so when the game was very different than it hopefully is now. I am glad tho it is still up and available to help new players.

-Moo

16. candoga444

candoga444 New Member

dude photos are gone, I dont know are u still look here but can u fix them :D

Tom likes this.
  17. Maunzilla

Maunzilla Well-Known Member

He's inactive since feb 2016. o_O

18. MooMaster

MooMaster New Member

The photos still show up for me?

MasterMoo likes this.