1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSM >> GLAD?

Discussion in 'Mercenary' started by Jawl, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Jawl

Jawl Member

I am creating a GSM which will be focusing mainly on AOEing ELITE stuff and soloing bosses of course.
    I was thinking and testing different builds and came to a conclusion that besides in PVP, GSM should outclass GLAD in PVE.
    It has more defence due to AD, therefore allowing you to mob more, it has same AOE as glad beside Lightning Recall, which lets be honest sometimes does more harm than good.
    My question regarding builds are.... and I would appreciated if it could be answer point by point.

1 - Aggression: there was a rumour that aggression would scale off strength and unless you have some in your build, it really isnt worth putting points in it. Is it true? could it be worth for full con ?
    2 - 1h mastery: would this be worth maximing for AOE? it is contiguous striking power, could it really be worth maxing for AOE? or it wouldn't make a lot of difference
    3 - Berserk: Could this be worth maxing later on at higher levels due to its striking power? would this increase AOE attack or only basic attacks?
    4 - Balance Up: This is a tricky one, I will be having AD up for the AOE, but would I need the balance up for gathering the mobs ? This is the least important one
    5 - Gale Smash vs Storm Edge: Which one is better? I know Gale Smash has a less MP cost and higher damage, but it is 25 seconds CD, While Storm Edge is 15 seconds however it has a higher cost and about 400 less damage. They are both 9 points to max. I am not planning on maxing them, but which one would be worth picking over the other? I see a lot of Glads using Storm edge for PVP.
    6 - Stone skin: If it were to max Berserk I would have to leave stone skin at 10 points instead of 15 so that I could max Berserk. I would lose around 140 defence. Would 140 defence be more beneficial than 165 striking power?

7 - Glad vs GSM: This is also a tricky one. Glad is more focused on PVP, and even though it is what I would go for.... the GSM is able to AOE perfectly at Elite, specially with a party. Now I plan on having my other friend with me so I won't have a big party, meaning that I need a class that can hold aggro and do big damage. I guess my question is: Glad and GSM has possibly the same damage output. Which one would be more beneficial for the following scenarios: PVE AOE, PVP, BOSS?

PS: consider that the max level is getting increased to 105, so i could max stone skin to 15 + have Berserk at max points.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member

I would use Balance up for bosses (if youre going out of mana and sont have ad activated) and for pulling mobs

3. Jawl

Jawl Member

That is fair enough and I might do that, how about the other points? could you shed some light on that? I know you yourself have some experience with the mercenary class.

4. Varu

Varu New Member

Hi there,

1. Aggression: Scales with your "current" damage. So for example if you have a bare damage of 250 and a sword which gives you 1250, you would have 1500. From that, Aggression takes its up to 15% bonus damage. So you basically get quite the damage out of it, at least with a 2 handed sword in the later game. However, I can't say which effects it includes in its calculation. I would assume at least every bonus from equipment. About other skills, I'm not sure.
    2. 1h Mastery: As it only increases the damage of one handed attacks, you would basically increase the damage of Smash Quake by 200. If this makes a difference depends on how often you have to use it. Basically, you would have to use it 5 times to deal 1000 damage more. Generally, I would say there are other skills which you could benefit more from than that one.
    3. Berserk: This one increases the damage of all your attacks, including your skills, as they scale with your overall damage. If it's useful depends I guess. 12 points for 165 damage is quite much, but if you want to maximize your damage via your skills, it can be nice to have.
    4. Balance Up: Basically, as a Merc you will always get critted while pulling Mobs, at least up to 4-6 level above them. So if you are higher than the mobs, or you think you can live with these (lot of) crits, you can skip it, otherwise you can never go wrong with it.
    5. Gale Smash / Storm Edge: That question is quite interesting. I guess it depends on your favors? Basically, as you said, Storm Edge deals less damage, my calculation here would be: 350 on max level + about half damage with your 1h sword compared to your 2h sword (which of course depends on your upgrades), so up to 750-900 damage less at least. If you don't max them, the damage loss is even greater (on level 5 for example it's 600). Now you can compare this to -10 seconds cooldown. As said, it's about which one you like more. I personally like to use Gale Smash, as both skills have a long cast time (about 2 seconds), so I basically use it either during the end of my stun combo or for finishing the enemy. For that case I would say Gale Smash is the better one, but if you want to use the skill more frequently during the fight or for another enemy, I see the benefit of Storm Edge.
    6. Stone Skin: While the actual effect depends on your current defense, I would say +140 shouldn't make that much of a difference. 165 damage more per hit however can be quite nice.
    7. Gladi vs GSM: In general, the Gladiator can have a higher damage output via Blood Fury, which increases your damage by about 300, while also giving you an attack and speed boost of +20%. However as you said, you lose the advantage of Absolute Defense.
    PvE (AoE) - I would say GSM. You could manage to outrun the mobs with buffs, though. This would negate the need of a higher defense.
    PvP - Would tend to Gladiator. Gsm can be nice in PvP if played well, combining your stuns. However that you can achieve with your gladiator as well. Absolute Defense gives you a nice 100% stun protection if you time it well, but otherwise it's quite useless. As you miss the 'Blood Thirst' Skill, you have to catch all of your enemies, which cause quite a disadvantage. Also, I had the experience that the GSM was always lacking quite some damage, so Blood Fury would come quite in handy.
    Boss - Depends on the bosses you want to do. Basically each boss you could defeat with another class than mercenary, you can also beat with a Gladiator. Of course depending on your equipment and the level difference. For tougher bosses wich basically 'need a tank', you normally can't go wrong with a GSM, but can also use a Gladiator, both depending on your party members. For Serbe, Rashif, and for doing Black Wizard with your party, you normally always need a GSM. For the Elite Bosses, I guess a GSM would be the better choice, at least for ED3.

Jawl and Tom like this.
  5. Jawl

Jawl Member

1 - So I am guessing that Aggression doesn't only apply to basic attacks, but to skill damage too? if so that is definitely worth maxing
    2 - 1h is a no then, only 191 damage isnt worth 11 points
    3 - I guess Berserk it is then, I am trying to max my defence, while having a really good damage output on my AOE, because I will be a AOE GS. I need to see if there is a better skill to level up instead of Berserk but I doubt there is.

Got another question:
    1 - How about heart of steel instead of lets say Berserk? is the 2063 HP worth 9 points? (I have noodles+red dress so it gets all added up in there). Just wondering if it is worth maxing that over lets say Berserk or something else.

You covered every point perfectly, thank you for that.
    I only got a minor question that is non-mercenary related-able. I am building a AOE GS to level with my friend who is making a FULL int noble/saint. I say noble/saint because we haven't yet figured out which dones more damage. Roughly speaking with the numbers down, Saint does more damage, and it is technically more useful and beneficial for a GS (Buffs, heals, ress). What would be the preferable choice here for raw damage in order to farm ED1.2.3 fast and efficiently?

6. Varu

Varu New Member

1 - Every skill applies its damage by using your character's damage output + its additional extra damage. So yes, if you have bonuses increasing your damage, it will affect auto-attacks aswell as skill damage.
    2- I would assume it would be an interesting skill if you would go for a GSM to farm Serbe, Rashif and Hugel. You normally keep on your shield during their fights, meaning you can profit from more damage. But as I remember, even then, as you should stop at least at level 81 for them, you normally need the points for something else or go with a full strength build anyways.
    3- I would say the priority goes like this: Aggression (At least about +200 at endgame for 4 Points), Blood Fury (281 for 7), Two-handed Sword Mastery (450 for 11), Berserk (165 for 12). 2h Mastery increases only the maximum damage, but you could calculate that it is at least about 250 overall damage each time. That said, you could also place it above Blood Fury, but that one has it's damage increase more consistent and you normally skill it up to point 3 already anyways.

4 (Heart of Steel) - If you want to maximize your damage output I would stick with Berserk. Should do you more good than 2100 HP. At least if you have enough HP by other means, which I assume by the items you've mentioned. In general, the skill isn't that bad, but normally only makes sense if you really want to get to a certain amount of HP.

About the Noble/Saint Question:
    Basically, both classes need quite much MP, which they won't have with Full Int. While they can both work around that with Equipment to have enough for their attacks, I would assume that a Saint would have quite the problems to maintain damage and support at the same time.
    That being said:
    If you want a partner who only deals additional damage, I would go for CM (Noble) or Shaman (Saint). For AoEing, they should deal about the same damage, if using all their AoEs. (About 14-15k skill damage, leaving out Ice Bomb which you keep at 1). However, this calculates that your Shaman has all 3 AoEs, which consumes quite the skill points. For Bosses, I would say Shaman is the better choice because of his Buffs and Debuffs.
    If you want a partner who mostly supports you, a Priest (Saint) would be the better choice. He may need to put some points into Wisdom, though.

7. Fream

Fream Member

My two cents about the topic:

I mostly agree with Varu's ideas so I'll only comment on the ones I don't.
    Also, keep in mind I only have experiences in Elite 1 and 2 and first few boss in Avery, I never got around aoeing there.

* Heart of Steel - Feels like a very bad skill at every point in the game.
    Reasoning: If you don't have your AD up you will lose 3-400 health per hit from elite mobs, in an aoe with 8-12+ mobs its like 1 second of extra alive time. If you do have your AD then mobs gonna hit for a nonexistent damage with any buff or decent top or fusion.
    * I found sword mastery really good on the other hand against bosses since the +191 turns a level 73/33 1h from +8 into the same damage as a +10.

Party:
    I was grinding in E1 with a level 84 shaman who was full int without any fusion/cash items. She never had problems casting aoes there, what we did follows as:
    1: Gs lures as many mobs as I can
    2: Shaman casts aol on the GS
    3: Gs uses every aoe he has (that was tornado at max and 1h aoe on 5 or max depending on build) then drinks an mp potion and uses Cry of Coruge
    4: Shaman uses every aoe then puts recovery on gs and sits down to recover mp
    5: Shaman relogs when the Gs CoC runs out and mobs start to murder her (no way to over damage a full int shaman on Gs)
    6: Shaman logs back and AoE whenever they are up with Gs
    If at this point the mobs are still around with a lot of hp then good luck cause your AoL is probably off, but they shouldn't have too much Hp left.

Extra treat:
    Gale Smash vs Strom Edge:

[​IMG]
    EDIT: I can't insert images here...
    direct link to the image: https://imgur.com/vYgzjwr

Explanation:
    The first column is the current level of the skill
    The second column is the skill damage on its own
    The third column is the Damage per second of the skill (Regarding the cooldown, not the actual animation time)
    The fourth column is the damage of the skill with a lvl81/37 oblivion +0 weapon
    The fifth is the Damage per Second of the skill (Once again, regarding the cooldown, not the animation time)

From that, we can see that in a long battle Strom edge does about 30% more damage then gale.

EDIT2: I forgot, but defense skills scale really well into higher levels, the difference of 200 defense can be even 50-100% more health increase for Gs.
    Reasoning: If that 200 points of defense put you from ~70 dmg/hit to ~40 dmg/hit that's ~50% more health. For example, the lvl82 saint defense buff moved me from 320 dmg/hit to 2 dmg/hit.

I highly recommend maxing all your defense skills.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. Jawl

Jawl Member

1 - That's good information right there, thank you.
    2 - I am not using my GS to farm those 3 bosses. Sure I will be farming some, but not just for bosses, it is mainly to aoe in EDs and new maps. So i guess ill keep the 10 points.
    3 - Yes that's a good analysis.
    4 - Fair enough, it was just a silly question.

Noble/Saint
    Yes that is what I thought, however I am quite sure that the noble can do a full aoe rotation without poting MP or something while the saint full rotation would require AOE / buffs and heals. All in all, the noble should do a tiny bit more damage, but not enough to overthrow the shamans buffs/heals

9. Jawl

Jawl Member

1- Good analogy on heart of steel.
    2-Sword mastery I have on my full str GS and it is really good if all you do is farm bosses, but I dont see how it can be good to AOE.

Saint question:
    Yes so you would say a shaman would be a better party member (full int) than a noble (full int). That is also a good rotation that I might do, so thank you for that.

Gale vs Edge
    Thanks for that image, it clarified alot, I was questioning if storm edge would've actually do more damage over time than gale due to its cooldown and I was right, and that image clarified it, thanks for that too.

Defense:
    I see. I might be maxing the stone skin and leave either Smash quake at 5 points or max smash quake and stone skin and leave berserk on 7 points until the max level is extended to 105 which then I can max berserk.

Thanks for the answer.

10. Fream

Fream Member

Oh yeah, it's not that amazing for AoE :)

I think so, the damage is comparable but noble can't do much other than damage and run away with Tp to tank a bit for you (luring is faster on noble I guess) but AoL and Heals are so good in elites.

Personally, I think that's the better idea.