1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator – Shield Mastery or Two Hand sword Mastery?

Discussion in 'Mercenary' started by SoL, Jan 28, 2018.

1. SoL

SoL New Member

Hello everyone!

First let me apologize for my bad English. (I´m German^^”). As you can see above – this is a tread do discuss, which skill is better for a Gladiator. (If we consider, that we max. at least one these skills). Because I don´t know, which skill I should be maxing, I intend to discuss that with you all, so it will help me reach a conclusion. ^^

Before we begin, here a few Infos:

-) Assume the character only has +4 armor/weapon (Not everyone wants to spend >100k ap or more)

-) There is no lv limit (So we can discuss, if the skills are not only good in low lvs, but also in high lvs)

-) Think not only about pvp, but also pve (1vs1 and party) and bosses

-) Cash items are allowed (pirat dress etc. –)

Then let´s begin, here are the effects for maxing both skills:

-) Shield Mastery (15 Points spend) – While wearing a shield, your def will be increased by 746

-) Two Hand sword Mastery (11 Points spend) – While wearing a 2h sword, your max. dmg will be increased by 496.

Now I will tell you about the pros/cons about those 2x skills. Please be awre, that this is all my very own opinion. Feel free to criticize, because that’s exactly what I want^^

· Shield Mastery

I´m pretty sure, you all have the question, why a Gladiator should max. Shield Mastery in the first place? Simply, Gladiator are also using shield, as for tanking, luring or even fighting in pvp. Also, not everyone wants a gsm only to have a high defence. (That would be another discussion) So here is an example, why it can be good:

You are luring 15 mobs. Each mob does 1000 dmg to you. All of these mobs hit you 10 times, before all of them are killed. (Including luring by yourself)

6 of the hits happens, when you are wearing a shield.

I will assume that with 746 more defence, you get at least 70 dmg less, then without it. First it doesn´t sound very good, but here is the thing:

15 mobs -> each mob does 70 dmg less -> 1K (just to make it easier). They hit you about 6 times while you are wearing a shield = 6k dmg less. That’s a lot. The argument against it could be, that in a party with more than 4 people including a priest, its not necessary to skill that. But if you consider, that the mp of a priest is not infinity and he has to watch out, that he doesn´t get aggro, the skill itself is not that bad.

So here are the pros/cons to it :

+ Can be useful in an aoe party for luring and tanking (special, if you don´t have a priest)

+ Can be good against other merc and explorer (if it’s a long fight)

+ Good against bosses, that takes a while to beat (also if they stun a lot – damn hugel -.-)

+ Even if you are stunned, the skill is in effect

- It requires 15 points to max which can be used for other skills. (Actual, a huge disadvantage)

- Against noble/saint, its worthless…

· Two Hand Sword Mastery

This skill is one of the most basic skills. Many Gladiator max. this skill, because the original role of a Gladiator is to do as much dmg as possible. I don´t have much to add about this skill, so we will skip to the pros/cons right away:

+ In comparison to Shield Mastery, it only costs 11 point. So, you have 4 points left, that can be used for other skills.

+ It gives you a dmg boost for 496, which is really not bad.

+ In combination with a red pirat dress even better (15% max. attack power).

- Remember, it states 496 MAX. DMG, that means you won´t do 496 more dmg with every hit.

- It gives you only a dmg boost, if you are using a 2h. When you look at pvp/fighting bosses, where you only use 2h if the opponent is stunned, it’s not that superior.

- If you are stunned, it doesn´t help you.

So that will end my own opinion of these skills. So its your turn now. What do you think is the better choice?

Thank you in advance. ^^

2. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member

Im playing currently a gladiator and Max both :D

There is nothing more to say, i totally agree with your Points.

At least if you wanna just One of them, i would prefer shield mastery, because the dmg of 2 handed mastery are just Peanuts against the fix dmg of the sword (with other dmg skills)

+500 Max dmg = ~250 more dmg in total

3. SoL

SoL New Member

First thank you for your reply. :)

I intend to start playing a Gladiator. But while I´m still stucked at lvling sea, i thought I can at least clear some of my questions here, before I start lvling serious. Still have some questions about Gladiator, but that will be in an other thread(s). Because otherwise, I could write a whole more pages. (Here only talking about the skills above.)